Marketing and Communications Specialist
The First Nations Housing Professional Association (FNHPA) is a new professional association committed to excellence in expanding housing management capacity for First Nations organizations. FNHPA is seeking a highly motivated, independent, and dynamic individual who will effectively and professionally provide marketing and communications expertise for FNHPA.
The Marketing and Communications Specialist will lead the Marketing and Communications function while developing and implementing FNHPA’s national marketing and communications strategy and working with internal and external stakeholders to execute and measure impact.
The incumbent will challenge traditional marketing and communications thinking and practices. This role will implement innovative Marketing/Communications strategies that will impact growth and awareness, and that will increase the value proposition of FNHPA to First Nations housing professionals, members, partners, other like-minded associations, key stakeholders, and the public.
This contract position is available until March 31, 2024. Continuation of employment after that date is dependent on the availability of funding, but it is the hope that this position will continue beyond that date. The Specialist will report to the FNHPA Executive Director.
FNHPA offers a competitive salary, the chance to learn new skills, and take on interesting projects. FNHPA is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develops an impactful association-level annual marketing communications strategy that effectively positions the FNHPA to garner visibility, raise awareness and drive impact; enabling organizational goals through comprehensive programs, campaigns, and events.
- Directs the creation of an FNHPA awareness campaigns across all relevant channels based on strategic objectives. This includes determining which media platform to advertise on and how to adapt campaigns to suit the channel they’re being used on.
- Tracks the success and ROI of Marketing and Communications programs through various channels and providing regular reporting to the ED.
- Continually researches and implements new tools, technology, digital trends, and strategies that enhance communication outreach and stays current with industry trends and best practices.
- Accountable for financial planning and budget management for the Marketing and Communications function.
- Promotes FNHPA products and services.
- Attends trade shows and conferences on behalf of FNHPA where and when required.
- Crafts and sends regular newsletters with FNHPA updates.
- Monitor and contribute to social media groups and professional platforms linked to First Nation Housing.
- Develops and monitors FNHPA’s website and social media pages and addresses members’ queries.
- Networks with industry experts and potential clients.
- Develops speeches, interviews, press releases and responses for the FNHPA Executive Director and Board of Directors.
- Creativity – take seemingly uninteresting concepts and translate them into campaigns that drive member engagement and conversion.
- Writing skills – can present marketing ideas in a clear manner that even the least knowledgeable stakeholders can understand. Use their writing skills to translate complicated technical jargon into member-facing materials.
- Presentation skills – skilled presenters that report campaign performance to upper management.
- Communication skills – communicate often and effectively with employees, members, and stakeholders.
- Planning – organize in time a series of actions or events to achieve an objective or a project.
- Initiative – proactive and self-starting, demonstrating creativity and initiative to suggest improvements and encourage positive results.
- Service Excellence – reflect a positive attitude, demonstrate competence and professionalism, treat members of the community with respect, exercise care, devote full attention and find solutions.
- Teamwork and Cooperation – cooperate and work well with other members of the team to reach common goal. Accept and give constructive feedback and they adjust own behaviour to reach team goals.
The preferred candidate will have:
- Post-Secondary Degree or Diploma in marketing, communications, public relations, or a related field.
- Demonstrated experience working with First Nations and First Nations organizations.
- 3 to 5 years proven work experience as a Marketing and Communications Specialist or similar role.
- Familiarity with B2B advertising campaigns.
- Computer literacy in a Windows environment including database management, website navigation, and social media platforms.
- Hands-on experience with web content management tools and marketing campaigns on social media platforms.
- Superior communications skills, both written and oral, are required along with a strong customer service orientation
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work with members, co-workers, and volunteers in a professional manner.
- Ability to work under pressure, manage multiple deadlines and change priorities with ease.
- First Nations Housing Professional (FNHP) or currently enrolled in the program.
- Experience working with First Nations organizations.
- Ability to communicate effectively in both of Canada’s official languages.
- Knowledgeable in Marketing software (e.g. Mailchimp).
Work involves exposure to both public and First Nations communities, Chief and Council, Administrative and Members. Work is subject to deadlines and interruptions. Ability to work effectively and efficient in a flexible office environment. The work will involve some out-of-town travel. This position requires flexibility to work where and when required. It is expected that when representing FNHPA, dress is appropriate for each specific target audience.
First Nation Preference
First Nations persons will be given preference (s. 16(1) CHRA). Applicants are asked to self identify in their cover letter.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
How To Apply
If you have the required qualifications and can fulfill the roles and responsibilities noted and would like to join a growing and dynamic organization with its energetic and motivated team, please forward your resume by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Thank you in advance for your interest in this opportunity.