Title: Coordinator, Indigenous Swimming & Water Safety Program
Location: Canada Remote
Employment status: Casual
Houlry rate: $22/
The Canadian Red Cross (CRC), an iconic brand and one of the most inspirational not-for-profit organizations on this planet, is seeking a Coordinator, Indigenous Swimming & Water Safety Program to join our Canadian Operations team.
You have a passion for helping others, and want to work with other dedicated individuals? By applying, you are taking a big first step to be part of an exciting organization.
At the Canadian Red Cross, we are guided by our fundamental principles of humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity, and universality. We help people and communities in Canada and around the world in times of need and support them in strengthening their resilience.
Starting with the hiring process, we are committed to having an accessible, diverse, inclusive, and barrier-free work environment where everyone can reach their full potential. We encourage all qualified persons to apply, particularly Indigenous Peoples, persons with disabilities, racialized people, and people with diverse gender identities and sexual orientations, and others who share our values and contribute to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace.
We are looking for a Coordinator, Indigenous Swimming & Water Safety Program to oversee the Indigenous Swimming & Water Safety Program through the summer months, collaborating with the Senior Manager, Injury Prevention. This position will include teaching swim lessons as required at various reserve communities to Indigenous youth ages 5 -14.
- Promotes the program to communities and assists in gathering support and interest for the Swim Program
- Registers the youth and children from the communities in the programs
- Schedules swim lessons for each community according to individual needs
- Ensures proper tools to run the program are created
- Maintains budget and completes administration requirements for the program
- Instructs Red Cross Water Safety swim lessons and evaluates participants’ swimming abilities
- Maintains safety and ensures supervision of participants at all times
- Consults with communities about their trends and cultural competencies
- Participates in program evaluation, writes reports and tracks statistics related to the Swim Program
What we are looking for:
- The minimum qualifications for this position are one (1) to three (3) years of job-related work experience or an equivalent combination of education and water safety experience. Returning post-secondary students are encouraged to apply.
- Excellent written and verbal communications in English. Fluency in a second language is an asset
- Current Water Safety Instructor certification or higher and current Lifeguarding qualifications
- Strong computer skills (Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook)
- Strong customer service, training, problem solving, and interpersonal skills
- Experience working with a diverse population and an understanding of Indigenous culture
- Valid provincial Class 5 driver’s licence.
- Current First Aid or a willingness to obtain certification
- Full vaccination against COVID-19 is mandatory for this position and operation (the CRC will however adhere to its duty to accommodate those who are unable to be fully vaccinated for a reason related to a human right protected ground)
If you require accommodation measures during any phase of the hiring process, please notify us as soon as possible. All information received in relation to accommodation requests will be kept confidential.