Title: Cash and Voucher Assistance Specialist
Location: Remote, anywhere in Canada
Type of contract: Full-time, temporary (12 months)
Salary band: $59,500 to $86,800/year
The Canadian Red Cross (CRC), an iconic brand and one of the most inspirational not-for-profit organizations on this planet, is seeking Cash and Voucher Assistance Specialist to join our Emergency Management team
You have a passion for helping others, and want to work with other dedicated individuals? By applying, you are taking a big first step to be part of an exciting organization
At the Canadian Red Cross, we are guided by our fundamental principles of humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity and universality. We help people and communities in Canada and around the world in times of need and support them in strengthening their resilience.
Starting with the hiring process, we are committed to having an accessible, diverse, inclusive and barrier-free work environment where everyone can reach their full potential. We encourage all qualified persons to apply, particularly Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, racialized people, and people with diverse gender identities and sexual orientations, and others who share our values and contribute to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace.
Cash and voucher assistance (CVA) is one of the most rigorously evaluated and well-researched humanitarian tools of the last decade. Evidence shows that providing CVA is an efficient, effective, and transparent way of supporting crisis affected populations, a tool which fundamentally promotes people’s independence and choice.
While CRC has significant experience domestically, the CRC is looking to expand its footprint to support CVA internationally leveraging its experience gained domestically. As a CVA Specialist, you will provide technical advice and support to the planning, implementation, and monitoring of CVA initiatives internationally for the CVA programs involving the CRC. The CVA Specialist will be responsible for supporting the CVA register and function as a technical resource to various CRC projects and programs.
As Cash and Voucher Assistance Specialist your responsibilities will be divided into several aspects:
Responsibility 1: Cash and Voucher Assistance Strategy (30%)
- Support the development of the CVA strategy of CRC for international operations and provide timely monitoring and reporting against it.
- Manage the information management systems and processes required to measure reach and impact of the CVA component of international emergency operations.
- Lead on quality assurance, compliance and risk management related to the CVA component of international operations.
- Evaluate how the best practices from the International CVA programs could be integrated into the Domestic CVA programs and vice versa.
Responsibility 2: Cash in Emergencies (40%)
- Act as CVA technical advisor for Medium, Complex and Large-Scale Emergencies in both Canada and abroad, including the Ukrainian Crisis response.
- On bilateral projects and longer-term recovery projects, advise National Societies and CRC team on appropriate and feasible CVA implementation modalities, based on results of CVA assessments and response analysis.
- Provide recommendations for which sectors and under which modalities CVA can be implemented, on an ongoing basis in response to changing needs/context or new emergencies.
Responsibility 3: Cash Preparedness (30%)
- Lead the organization and delivery of relevant CVA trainings and capacity building initiatives.
- Advise the CRC on appropriate and feasible cash preparedness activities for the CRC to engage with as a supporting partner, ensuring that a clear Plan of Action and a Budget are drafted, and support the delivery and monitoring of these activities as needed.
- Assist on the documentation of lessons learnt and best practices in programs with a cash or voucher component supported by the CRC (bilaterally), or within strategic areas of the CRC (technical or geographical).
- Other responsibilities such as assisting with the register management or providing overall support to the team are also to be expected.
What we are looking for:
University degree in relevant areas such as Disaster Management, Project Management, Sociology, International Development. Technical qualification or equivalent experience required.
Proven minimum work experience of 5 years in the humanitarian/development sector, with a minimum of three years of experience supporting cash and voucher assistance initiatives.
Proven experience in project/program management and ability to manage work plans, flows and budgets
Experience in data collection, analysis, and reporting.
Strong research and analytical capacity and problem-solving skills
Demonstrated experience in managing communications, meetings, teams, and training sessions
Exhibits leadership qualities and ability to work collectively with a team and with people located in different geographical locations or different organizations
Being bilingual English-French or English-Spanish is a requierment.
Good understanding of preparedness/contingency planning and disaster response.
Excellent analytical skills with ability to influence decision-makers.
- This is a full-time, 12-month position with the possibility of extension
- This position may require domestic or overseas travel to support emergency operations and conditions in the field will vary. This role may also require domestic travel to attend conferences, workshops and meetings.
- Outside of travel and deployment, work can be performed from home.
- Full vaccination against COVID-19 is mandatory for this position and operation (the CRC will however adhere to its duty to accommodate those who are unable to be fully vaccinated for a reason related to a human right protected ground)
- Eligibility to work in Canada: At this time, we welcome applications from candidates eligible to work in Canada. If you are not a citizen or permanent resident of Canada, we encourage you to carefully review your visa to find out whether you are eligible to work in the job you are considering applying for. Refer to our FAQ for more information.
If you require accommodation measures during any phase of the hiring process, please notify us as soon as possible. All information received in relation to accommodation requests will be kept confidential.