Saskatchewan Order of Merit Recipients Announced
July 6, 2017
With the 2017 recipients being honoured during Canada’s sesquicentennial year, congratulations to the ten extraordinary individuals who will be invested into the Saskatchewan Order of Merit, the province’s highest honour.
“The 150th Anniversary of Canadian Confederation is a year to give thanks for our many blessings, including the remarkable people who call Canada home,” Lieutenant Governor Vaughn Solomon Schofield said. “Those who will receive the Saskatchewan Order of Merit this year exemplify the very best of what it means to be a Canadian; they exemplify excellence, generosity, and leadership. I congratulate and thank them, most sincerely, for their impressive contributions to our province and to our nation.”
The 2017 recipients are:
- Murad Al-Katib, Business Owner and Exporter, Regina
- June Avivi, Retired Educator, Saskatoon
- Martha Cole, Artist, Lumsden
- Roland Crowe, Retired First Nations Leader, Regina
- Rod Gantefoer, Businessman and Former Politician, Melfort
- Paul J. Hill, C.M., Businessman and Philanthropist, Regina
- Robert Laing, Former Chief Justice, Court of Queen’s Bench, Saskatoon
- Dr. Roberta McKay, Physician and Philanthropist, Regina
- Robert Mitchell, Q.C., Former Attorney General and Lawyer, Regina (Posthumous)
- Brigadier General (Ret’d) Clifford Walker, C.D., Retired Canadian Forces and Educator, Regina
The Saskatchewan Order of Merit ceremony will take place in Regina this fall with the Lieutenant Governor presiding.
Established in 1985, the Saskatchewan Order of Merit recognizes excellence, achievement and contributions to the social, cultural and economic well-being of the province and its people. It acknowledges individuals who have made their mark in the arts, agriculture, business, industry, community leadership, occupations, professions, public service, research and volunteer service.
For more information on provincial honours and awards and to submit nominations, visit www.saskatchewan.ca/honoursawards.
For more information, contact: