Province Announces 2018 Saskatchewan Order of Merit Recipients
April 13, 2018
Six outstanding Saskatchewan citizens have been selected to be invested with the Saskatchewan Order of Merit, the province’s highest honour, during a ceremony in May.
“Saskatchewan’s motto is, ‘from many peoples, strength,’ and these six exceptional individuals exemplify the strength our province derives from its citizens,” Lieutenant Governor W. Thomas Molloy said. “Whether it’s been through their leadership, the arts, activism or philanthropy, these men and women have enhanced their communities and Saskatchewan as a whole. I offer my sincere congratulations to each of them and thank them for their contributions to our province.”
The 2018 recipients are:
- National Chief Perry Bellegarde, Assembly of First Nations, Little Black Bear First Nation;
- Gail Bowen, Author, Regina;
- Dr. Robert Calder, Professor Emeritus and Author, Saskatoon;
- Maurice Delage, President of Delage Farms Ltd., Indian Head;
- Thelma Pepper, Photographic Artist, Saskatoon; and
- Neil Richards, LGBT Archivist and Activist, Saskatoon (posthumous).
This year’s investees into the Saskatchewan Order of Merit will join the 229 individuals who have previously been invested.
The Saskatchewan Order of Merit was established in 1985 to recognize excellence and achievements from outstanding citizens. It is recognized in the national sequence of orders by the federal government.
For more information about the Saskatchewan Order of Merit or to nominate someone, visit www.saskatchewan.ca/honoursawards.
For more information, contact:
Order of Merit Bios