You can use your smart phone to browse stories in the comfort of your hand. Simply browse this site on your smart phone.

    Using an RSS Reader you can access most recent stories and other feeds posted on this network.

    SNetwork Recent Stories

Prairie Update – CP

by ahnationtalk on August 10, 201736 Views

Source: The Canadian Press – Broadcast wire
Aug 10, 2017

(Trans Mountain-Future) (Alta note)

Details are expected today on how the new N-D-P government in British Columbia may deal with the Trans Mountain pipeline expansion.

Two key cabinet ministers are believed ready to outline their government’s next steps on the project after campaigning against it in the spring provincial election.

Attorney General David Eby said last month that the province would not artificially delay Trans Mountain permits because doing so would risk a lawsuit.

The project has been approved by Ottawa and B-C’s previous Liberal government, but several First Nations and municipalities have filed legal challenges against it.

The expansion would triple the capacity of the Alberta-to-B-C pipeline and increase the number of tankers in Vancouver-area waters. (The Canadian Press)

(CRIME-Hit-And-Run)

A new charge has been laid against a young man accused of killing an Ontario resident in a hit-and-run last month in Regina.

Thomas Richard Nahbexie is now facing a count of dangerous driving causing death following the July 18th collision that killed a 51-year-old man.

The 18-year-old accused is already facing four other charges, including motor vehicle theft and failing to stop at the scene of an accident.

Police have said the alleged victim had been hit by his own work vehicle. (CBC)

(Mba-Highway-Scare)

Two women say a man they don’t know tried to run them off a highway in Manitoba’s Interlake on the long weekend.

Birdeen Malchuk and her daughter Kim Kennedy say they were driving to Arborg on Highway 7 early Saturday morning when a car passed them, then turned around and drove straight at them before whizzing by at close range.

The frightening tactic was repeated over a 10 to 15-minute period but the women were not hurt.

R-C-M-P confirm they were contacted about the incident but say without a licence number there isn’t much chance of finding the driver. (Wpg F-P)

(Sask-Farm-Shooting)

About 100 people turned out yesterday for a traditional Indigenous feast to mark the one-year anniversary of the shooting death of a 22-year-old man during an altercation on a Saskatchewan farm.

The event on the Red Pheasant First Nation was held to honour the memory of Colten Boushie (BOO’-shee), who police have said died after he and some friends drove onto the property near Biggar.

A ceremonial fire burned outside all afternoon as family and friends gathered for the feast inside the First Nation’s community hall.

Gerald Stanley, who has pleaded not guilty in Boushie’s death, is charged with second-degree murder and will go to trial in January. (CTV Sask, The Canadian Press)

(Mba-Gun-Discharge-Report)

Winnipeg police say they did not report an accidental shooting involving an officer’s pistol to Manitoba’s police watchdog because the incident does meet mandatory reporting criteria.

The officer was left with what officials call life-altering injuries after his gun went off in his holster outside a south-end grocery on Monday.

The Independent Investigation Unit says legislation requires that police notify them if someone is hurt by an officer’s actions, but it’s not clear if that includes incidents where an officer is injured by their own weapon.

The organization says it only learned about the accidental discharge through media reports.

It’s not clear if the unit will get involved in the shooting investigation, but a spokeswoman says the I-I-U has the authority to do so if it’s deemed necessary. (Wpg F-P)

(Sask-Affordable-Housing)

Saskatchewan’s social services minister is defending the province’s decision to review some of the affordable housing units owned through the Saskatchewan Housing Corporation and possibly putting them up for sale.

Tina Beaudry-Mellor says it’s not a cash grab, explaining that the Better Use Policy has been in place since 2003, before the current government 0was in power.

Each year, the units are reviewed and if there are some with chronic vacancies then there is the possibility they could be sold.

Beaudry-Mellor says a sale agreement would include the stipulation that existing tenants wouldn’t be evicted and the rents would remain the same _ at 30 per cent of income. (CJWW)

(Prairie Update by The Canadian Press)

(The Canadian Press)

 

Send To Friend Email Print Story

Comments are closed.

NationTalk Partners & Sponsors Learn More