Home » Newswire » Metis Sixties Scoop survivors left out of settlement payment – StarPhoenix
Metis Sixties Scoop survivors left out of settlement payment – StarPhoenix
by ahnationtalk onOctober 11, 201714 Views
October 11, 2017
A Sixties Scoop expert who included her own childhood in 14 foster homes in her doctoral thesis is among the Metis survivors who have been left out of the federal government’s compensation announcement.
“I was sick to my stomach,” Dr. Jacqueline Maurice said of learning that only Treaty First Nations people and Inuit are slated to receive compensation from a $750 million package announced last week by Carolyn Bennett, minister of Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada.
“To me it’s not about the monetary compensation. It is about acknowledgment. To exclude a critical group who was directly impacted by the Sixties Scoop is a revictimization, a retraumatization,” she said.
“Once again, we are silenced, we are excluded. It’s like our experience doesn’t have the weight or the credibility that (Treaty) Indians and Inuit have,” Maurice said.