Information sessions on Bills C-68 and C-69 for Indigenous peoples
The Government of Canada is committed to renewing its nation-to-nation, Inuit-Crown, and government to government, relationship with Indigenous peoples based on the recognition of rights, respect, collaboration and partnership.
We are holding information sessions with Indigenous groups to provide technical information on the proposed legislation in Bills C-68 and C-69. The information sessions provide an opportunity for engagement between the Government and First Nations, Métis, and Inuit groups. Indigenous groups will hear from and ask questions directly to government officials on the work that is being done to support the implementation of the proposed legislation. Feedback from these sessions will help support the development of policy and regulations.
Indigenous groups are encouraged to participate in future information sessions. To participate in the next session, or obtain documents from previous sessions, send an email to: email@example.com.
This is one of many ways we are engaging Indigenous peoples, provinces and territories, industry, other stakeholders and the broader public throughout the legislative process.
- Other engagement opportunities
Past and upcoming information sessions
May 9 (French), 10 & 13 (English)
This information session will present information on the Discussion Paper on the Proposed Project List and the Discussion Paper on Information Requirements and Time Management Regulatory Proposal. There will also be a Q&A session after each presentation.
- French language Information Session – Thursday, May 9, 2019
- Click here to register for the French Language session
- English language Information Session – Friday, May 10, 2019 – Option 1
- Click here to register for the English Language session – option 1
- English language Information Session – Monday, May 13, 2019 – Option 2
- Click here to register for the English Language session – option 2
March 14 (French), 15 & 21 (English)
This information session will provide information about upcoming engagement opportunities, a presentation on the development of an Indigenous Knowledge Policy Framework to support proposed legislation, and an update on the Strategic Assessment of Climate Change. There will also be a Q&A session.
- French Information Session – Thursday, March 14, 2019
- English Information Session – Friday, March 15, 2019 – Option 1
- English Information Session – Thursday, March 21, 2019 – Option 2
December 12 (French) and 13 (English) 2018
The information sessions will focus on the proposed Canadian Navigable Waters Act (CNWA). They will provide an overview of two recently released discussion papers:
- Major Works Order and
- Adding Navigable Waters to the new CNWA Schedule.
There will also be a question and answer session.
October 16 (French) and 17 (English), 2018
The information sessions provided an overview of amendments to Bills C-68 and C-69 made by the House of Commons in the spring of 2018. Updates on related regulation and policy development, as well as ongoing engagement opportunities were provided.
March 15, 20, 21 (English) and19 (French), 2018
The technical briefing sessions for Indigenous peoples provided a technical overview of Bills C-68 and C-69.